mental health life radius

Balancing Life and Mental Health During COVID-19

As we continue to wait out the COVID-19 outbreak from our homes, it has taken many of us some significant adjustments to adapt to our new normal. While it may seem overwhelming at first, the key to making it all work is striking a balance between the most important priorities in your life. If you are struggling to find an equilibrium between tasks like work, school and most importantly, your mental health, remember that you are not alone! There are some concrete steps that you can take to make the most of the situation.


Keep reading for our top tips on finding that balance. 


Keep a Routine


It can be easy to fall out of routine when our normal habits are disturbed in such a drastic way but keeping some semblance of routine will help you be more productive and happier. A new study conducted by Citrix on the realities of working from homes during COVID-19 says this: “While it might be funny and novel to see your co-workers in their pajamas on a video call, for remote work to be truly effective, it’s important to try and get into a repeatable rhythm so that workers can be and do their best wherever they happen to be.” 


Setting up a dedicated workspace in your home and maintaining work hours that are similar to your regular day are good starting points but allow yourself to be flexible with the realities of the situation. The same study indicated that only 5% of respondents are living and working on their own, meaning the other 95% are sharing it with a spouse, roommates, or children – another hurdle to take into consideration. 


Figuring out a new regime that works for you won’t happen overnight, so don’t be too hard on yourself – we’re all figuring this out together! 


Be Flexible and Patient



While we all have our fingers crossed that things will return to normal soon, embracing our new reality rather than resisting it will make your life a whole lot easier. 


Many industries and institutions have put new practices into place and adapting to all of them at once can seem daunting, so take it one step at a time. If your medical school classes or certification exams have been adjusted, consult someone from your school as soon as possible. If you are on the job search during COVID-19 be adaptable to new hiring practices such as extended hiring timelines and virtual interviews.


Keep in mind that there must also be a certain degree of flexibility from everyone’s end, as the entire world is attempting to reconfigure to an ever-changing situation. What is right today may be wrong tomorrow – so try to be understanding and sensitive to the situation. 


mental health radius life


Don’t Ignore Your Mental Health


Staying productive and busy is probably at the top of everyone’s list right now, but the reality of the situation is that this is a confusing and upsetting time for many people. A recent survey indicated that more than 4 in 10 respondents have felt their overall mental health has declined since the beginning of the COVID-19 outbreak. 


If you are finding yourself in a similar position, communicating how you’re feeling to those around you is more important now than ever, in a time where human interaction is at a minimum. If your communication options are limited, there are creative ways to embrace mindfulness to help keep some common mental health symptoms of healthcare professionals at bay. Taking care of your mind first and foremost will make everything else come that much easier.

Radius Staffing Solutions has also done our fair share of adjusting to the new normal – read about our move to a remote routine here! And, if you are in need of support or are looking for a new healthcare position, reach out to us today.


Tags: advanced practice, coronavirus, covid19, healthcare, healthcare management, lab sciences, mental health, pharmacy, radiology, rehab therapy, school, work

Related Posts